Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Updates on old posts

I've been reading through T. Sulimirski's The Sarmatians, which was the first instance of current Sarmatian research being gathered into one place. I found a handful of new Sarmatian names in it which I have added to the Personal Names post:
Abeacus
Amage (old name, new instance at a later time?)
Eunones
Galatus
Sauromates
Spaldines
Tasius
Zosines
In looking for more information on these people, I ran across catalogues of coins minted in Bosporus which bore Bosporan kings of Sarmatian descent with Iranian (Sarmatian) names, which gave me even more names to include:
Asander
Aspurgus (old name, new spelling)
Eupator
Inithimeus
Pharsanzes
Rhadamsades
Rhescuporis, Rheskuporis
Synges
Teiranes
Thothorses, Theothorses

I've also added these references to the reference list.
Additionally, Sulimirski's book is so important that I will be writing a post devoted solely to reviewing it once I finish reading it.

Sulimirski, T., 1970,  The Sarmatians, vol. 73 of Ancient Peoples and Places, Praeger Publishers, Inc.
http://www.wildwinds.com/#
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment