Monday, April 16, 2012

Truth or a lie #2

TRUE


This find is detailed in the book "The Golden Deer of Eurasia". Deer were a common motif in Sarmatian art. These particular statues have wooden cores covered in gold leaf that was hammered on and attached by tiny bronze nails. While they were all made based on some set template, the degree of craftsmanship present varies wildly. Some of them were undoubtedly made by artisans who knew exactly what they were doing. Others were made by people who probably hadn't tried anything like this before. Some show influences from other cultures that those Sarmatians would have been interacting with at the time- meaning that, whoever this leader was, he was important or beloved enough that foreigners took part in paying tribute to him. Below are select pictures from the book. I'd like to try my hand at making one of these someday. Maybe I can get Bob to join me so we have a range of skills from his sculpting experience and my lack thereof. :)
 

1 comment:

  1. Wait - that means the hats were the lie! That means I guessed correctly! :D

    ReplyDelete